Are you running a small or medium business (SME) locally, precisely in San Diego? Then this guide will take you through with every single detail that you need to know before executing seo by yourself or hiring a professional seo expert in san diego.
What is SEO
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. The search engine is a computer system that searches files on the web, that is, it automatically tracks web servers thanks to its network. The main search engines that currently exist are three, with Google at the top, followed by Bing and Yahoo . The SEO or search engine optimization helps to rank a website on the page of search engine so that when a person performs a search in an engine like the above, can easily find your website.
Nowadays, it is very common for people to search using Google or similar platforms and therefore, it is absolutely necessary to appear in their result page (Which also known as SERP = Search Engine Result Page).
The History of Search Engine Optimization
The vision of Google from the date it was set up as a company, was to become the main search engine worldwide. And with hard work and lots of technology, it has succeeded. The practice of SEO has become more sophisticated as search engines improved their criteria for prioritizing results. The user asks a question by entering a keyword in the search engine and this returns an increasingly improved response. The answer or group of answers offered by the search engine is quite broad but is arranged in such a way that the first positions are occupied by website or portals that have the highest relevancy with the search query entered.
At first, the factors required for a website to appear in the top positions of the search results pages were not difficult. It is likely to say that all the operation of the search engines is based on algorithms that increasingly include more factors and therefore, that are becoming more complex. In a first stage, to appear in the first pages, it was enough to include the keywords with which they could search the entire website, repeating them several times without having to take into account the context. The Google robot crawled the web and finding as many terms the same or similar to the keyword entered, offered this web as a suggestion in the result. Funny right?
In 2007, 200 parameters were used to optimize Google search results. But over time, other criteria such as duplication of content were incorporated. Many companies started duplicating texts from websites to try to get better SEO, but what happened is that the user when searching, found meaningless content, obviously thought for the sole purpose of being found, but not to give relevant information. This has led the major search engines to strive to penalize the webs with declines in the SEO score, meaning not helping them to appear in the top positions. This prevents duplicities and the user remains the most important.
How do search engines work?
In a matter of seconds, the engines perform several actions to offer the user the best options to their search. One of the tasks is crawling, which starts with a list of web addresses from either previous crawls or sitemaps . The bots track the links to other pages to decide if the loading time is optimal, if there is updated content or if they are new sites etc. All this crawling helps to give good search results.
The next action that the engine performs is to include an index in which the crawled webs are ordered according to their content, their authority and relevance. The search engine evaluates hundreds of aspects in this step, for example, if the content includes videos, animations, if the contents are frequently updated, etc.
The third action of the search engines is to apply the algorithm, a computer process that decides in milliseconds the positioning. All this process gives an ordered list of webs as suggestions to the search. Assign a pagerank to each one and according to it, an order is generated. If a page does not contain good content, a good number of interesting links in social networks and external reference pages, if the indexing within the site is not clear, if the keywords are not used correctly, if a user experience is not offered etc then the website will not have a good pagerank and will appear below other websites of the competition.
This conclusion leads one to think about the two great problems of poor search engine rankings. On the one hand, there is the risk of losing visibility as the website is down in the search results and a great opportunity to publicize your products or services is wasted. On the other hand, there is the risk of accommodating companies or competition initiatives. A company that invests in advertising, offers good products, strives to be excellent, but is not in the top positions of search results, not only loses reach, but benefits its competition, throwing away all its Effort because when looking for it, no one can find it in the first place and customers (potential or real) could be interested in another company that offers the same,
The Importance of SEO
In every 677 seconds, more than 26 million searches are performed on Google. It is the world's leading search engine, which serves more than one billion queries each day.
More than 80% of Internet users use search engines to find out what they need, to find products, to finalize their purchasing decisions, etc. So it is normal to think that there is a real need to have a good position in search engines.
Two ways to understand the Local SEO also for a city like San Diego
There are two main groups of criteria that are used to determine the position of a web in a search result: authority or popularity based on user experience and relevance, which is the relationship that the factors of a web have with the Search done.
Now, to get a good ranking in search engines , we work from two points of view of SEO:
- On Page SEO : This would be all the SEO activities that can be done within a website to make it more relevant to the search engine. That is, ensure that a web is optimized for the engine. Some of the actions include page load time, user experience , code optimization, URL formatting, keyword optimization , and so on. Everything that can be done within the site .
- Off Page SEO : Unlike the previous one, it refers to all the activities that can be done "off the site " to get a better positioning in the search engines. The most important factors are the web links found on the Internet, whether in social networks, in the media, etc. When the quality and number of these links are high, you can get a better positioning. It is for this reason that SEO as a marketing activity must go hand in hand with all the other actions within a global strategy: email marketing, branding , social networking work, web management and offline advertising etc..
Top Reasons To Do SEO On A website
- Brand image: for a company, a project or any idea, appear in the natural search ranking of search engines, is synonymous with prestige. The image that people create in their mind is something quite strong that hardly changes with time and therefore, it is a basic factor that must be taken care of.
- Credibility: There is the possibility of appearing on the first pages of the search results by paying, through the system Adwords or Bing Ads, etc. However, it is increasingly proven that the credibility obtained through organic positioning is much greater. The effort that makes a brand to give good content to its visitors is very powerful and something that even those who do not understand SEO and marketing, appreciates above-paid advertising. Most of the San Diego seo specialists provide both organic and paid (PPC) seo services.
- Competitiveness: In the online business world, competition is always high. It should be asked if it is really desirable that the companies in the competition have higher positions of their own. A good SEO is synonymous of competitiveness and formulates the success and the leadership in the market.
- Reaching the right people: There is the possibility that, if you do not consciously do SEO, you reach an incorrect target. SEO enables companies to attract the traffic they are looking for, reducing rebound and improving efficiency. In addition, if the correct target is reached, the interaction on the website will be much greater and you can think of brand engagement more easily.
- A simple and manageable site: Over the years, websites have surpassed themselves to a current standard that focuses on making it easy for users to navigate, find what they need to find, enjoy The visit, etc. With the work of Seo, his is simpler and it is possible to offer an efficient space and adapted to the world today.
- Content: In addition to looking after good positioning, creating SEO friendly content helps the company to create relationships with its visitors. If a user enters a web site once and finds something that really appeals to him / her and / or serves him, he / she will return. Recurrence increases when content is relevant and this in turn increases the likelihood of having a good position in search results.
- Reaching Everyone: The common thing is not for users to do exhaustive searches on the Internet. In fact, the maximum is passed from the first to the second page of results.
Some basic actions to improve search engine rankings
- It is very important to use tags since this way search engines can quickly see the category of content included on the website. Tags should be used with great care; You should only use one per page and try to use keywords in them.
- The titles of the contents of the web must be short, relevant, direct, and include keyword to highlight.
- It is necessary to take good care of the meta descriptions, that is to say, the brief explanation of each content. In general, a good extension for them is 160 characters.
- The link building is an important part of the external or off site SEO. It is about getting include links of the own content in other webs. Choose the terms you want to position and study the mechanisms to get those links. A good formula is to create alliances with industry websites or suppliers that can be influential. As an SEO expert we strongly advice san diego's business owner not to buy cheap rated links
precisely from fiverr. It will hamper your rankings.
- In social networks it is necessary to have a strong activity and create through them, a good amount of links to the web, in order to generate referenced visits that improve SEO.
In conclusion, it is worth remembering the phrase:
people do not find websites, it is they who find people.
Google Guidelines: The Golden Rules of SEO
Till now you have learned a lots thing. But the most important lesson is still remaining. That is Google's webmaster guidelines. You can't survive without following google's guidelines. Google is very strict about it.
A quality website should avoid the following practices:
- Automatically generated content
- Participation in link schemes
- Misleading redirects
- Hidden text or links
- Incoming pages
- Content Copied
- Participation in affiliate programs that do not add enough value
- Loading pages with irrelevant keywords
- Creating pages with malicious behavior, such as pages that impersonate or install viruses, Trojans or other malicious software
- Abuse of markup of enriched fragments
- Sending automatic queries to Google
In addition to avoiding all of the above, Google recommends performing the following practices
- Monitor the site to detect pirated content and eliminate pirated content as soon as it appears.
- Avoid and eliminate user-generated spam on your site.
If Google detects that your site violates one or more of these guidelines, it may penalize you in some way. If this happens, you must adhere to the guidelines and once the problem is solved, submit our site for Google to review again.
The 10 Keys To Optimize Website For Search Engines
1. Identify yourself in Google +, Google My Business and create a channel on YouTube
The social network of Google and its channel of YouTube represent the ideal opportunity to position strategically the contents of a determined web page. Google first finds the contents of which publisher has obtained doses of information, such as the sector of activity to which it belongs or its predominant interests. In fact, it is advisable to periodically share the content through these sources (also on YouTube if an audiovisual content is generated) in order to increase the authority of the page and the domain.
Identifying in Google My Business allows to review the business and provide data, such as opening hours, address and many others very relevant for users who want to find a particular company. Through this tool, the telecommunications giant (Google) is also likely to appear your business on the map.
2. SWOT study
It is clear that, as in all entrepreneurship, we must know what are the weaknesses, strengths, opportunities, and threats of the business to be placed. Through the analysis of the competition and the SWOT market, you can discover data and information that are highly relevant to the interests of the company. For example, the most relevant terms to exploit by keywords, which are the most appreciated or valued by customers or opportunities that should not be missed.
A good SWOT study should also reveal the trends and resolve the seasonality of what products, goods or services are in vogue at any given time of year. Although there are tools like Trends (from Google) or SEMrush, where you can see very complete graphs of the most incipient trends, it is essential to perform this exercise prior to watching the advanced analytics for Big Data.
3. Study the long tail keywords
When we refer to local SEO positioning, inevitably refers to the nuance that what is to be positioned should be done, above all, among users seeking in the Community of San Diego. You can be even more specific and determine the keywords by sections.
image source: longtailpro.com
In this sense, the keyword strategy must always be constructed by looking at the long tail (for example "Men's clocks in San Diego") and not the main keyword (which, in this example, would be "clocks").
All SEO must be done according to this criterion (if a business wants to focus on San Diego because it does not deliver at home and only depends on its physical store located on a street in the capital). The optimization should always contain the long tail call "in San Diego".
4. Study the competition in Keyword Planner
The competition in Keyword Planner is an elementary factor, together with the volume of searches that represents each of the key terms that interest in positioning a company. Remember that there are certain keywords that are non-negotiable. Some of that best describe the activity of the business and some of that best work in the characteristic of the users (those who use the most query to search your store). However, there are other keywords that can be modified depending on the observation of the users' browsing habits and, thus, define the strategy with cunning.
It should be noted that the competition of keywords is disputed between High, Medium and Low, depending on the bids that Adwords (paid advertising campaigns) exist at the time of publication. Hence, if it is intended to carry out a purely 100% optimized content strategy for SEO, it is essential to bet on the best keywords with relevant search volume and lower than average competition. This is the first step to getting a winning local SEO strategy.
5. 100% optimization for SEO in all elements of the text
And, by "all elements, the following are understood:
- An attractive Title: maximum 70 characters that includes the keyword. There are engagement techniques that can be very useful in raising CTR ( Click Through Rate ), such as appealing to emotions, using questions or the how to model.
- Meta description: or Short description that should also contain the keyword as well as brushstrokes of the most relevant information in the text. The one that most interests the reader, according to their search criteria.
- Tags h2 and h3: especially in h2 would also include the keyword by which you want to position the web.
- Alt Tag of images: this meta tag serves Google to categorize the contents, therefore, the image must be closely related to the content of the article so that its image finder responds in an ideal way, just as it is expected to make its Content display.
-LSI Keywords: Repetition of the keyword in a natural way throughout the text in its different semantic variants, which include synonyms, plural, singular, masculine and feminine. It is necessary to pay special attention to that of placing them "naturally" so as not to fall into the error of using Black SEO techniques and be penalized by Google's complex algorithms (Panda or Penguin).
6. Natural Link Building Strategy
If the content becomes more consistent (always according to an editorial calendar in which the periodicity of publication of content is defined) and the authority of the page and of the domain grows, the link building should arrive as fallen from the heaven. And the conditional is used because SEO, like everything else in Marketing, is always unpredictable.
Paying attention that the content that is published is always must be original and there is no duplication of it. If you can do it regular basis, the success will also be assured.
07. Link building strategy through guest-blogging
The guest-blogging (guest blog) is a practice to save the image against the algorithm of Google that seeks to end the practice of buying links with desired anchor texts .
Finding similar collaborators and publishing their content on our website attracts organic traffic, just like to own websites, if you do the same on another website whose niche is similar, can obtain referred traffic (not organic ). But is that, traffic is always welcome regardless of the source from which it is obtained.
The more users there are reading a certain content, the more likely they are to gain visibility on the web through, for example, social networking. Hence the importance of optimizing the mobile user experience and making articles load quickly and efficiently. Never forget the importance of social buttons. They must always be present.
08. Analytics in advanced analytics tools
There are several advanced analytics tools to measure the results of content optimized for seo in San Diego (locally) or globally. For example:
- Search Console: Formerly called Google Webmaster Tools, it makes reports with 2 days of decalage, where you can see the impressions of the keywords that work best, your SERP in the Google display, the number of clicks they receive and their CTR. It also allows comparisons from month to month and week to week, as well as analyze pages by URL.
It also reveals existing SEO errors, whether there are duplicate URLs or if the page is optimized for Mobile in a responsive strategy. It is imperative to manage it for the best results.
- Analytics: in SEO, Acquisition channels are elementary and all those coming from organic traffic more. Hence, you can observe each day, in real time, or by selecting specific periods and comparing them (or not) with specific dates to perform keyword analyzes that work best or landing pages on which to begin to build the purchase funnel .
- SEMrush: another extraordinary advanced analytical tool for observing organic growth in detail. You can take care of the growth of backlinks, changes in rank of certain keywords (if new, improved or lost) and your SERP, as well as a huge number of hyper-relevant documentation on which to build the strategy of improvement and achievement Of objectives.
9. Conversion to Objectives
SEO results should always be linked to certain calls to action or CTA buttons that should be reflected in Analytics. To observe the performance of all links that involve users to perform certain actions (buy, register, subscribe to a newsletter ) you need to properly configure the Analytics models and, thus, improve the strategy as you harvest good Results.
10. Healing content
This is one of the most effective strategies to perform local SEO with great success. And is that the contents that do not get the desired results are always improvable. The curing of contents is based, fundamentally, on the editing of the texts and, according to the competition, to the articles of the same theme better positioned and to the latest news, insert all those pieces of information in ours, in such a way that Enrich the texts.
In curing content is also elementary to observe the 2 most relevant elements when capturing the click of the lead in Google, that is, the Title and Meta description. Success in SEO, on many occasions, is a matter of trying to come up with the formula that works best for a particular audience. Therefore, content healing is the best tactic to do so. Also, watch out for the content slug. It is sometimes better to contain only the content keyword.
Through these 10 keys, all those entrepreneurs with an eagerness to rank strategically the contents of your company in the "top" of the ranking of the display of the main search engines will be able to realize it with the sufficient professional elements so that its strategy of Benwillseo, becomes a strategy of success.
Top SEO Tools That You'll Need To Execute Your Strategy
Here are the best SEO tools according to their functionality.
You can not miss semrush in your list with the best tools for SEO. It is a very useful tool in the analysis of keywords, as it offers a ranking of keywords , both the own and the competition. In addition, it offers the possibility of searching and doing an analysis with suggestions on new keywords related to a specific topic.
Another function is to estimate the organic traffic and payment of a specific web, something that is very interesting to establish possible cooperation with said web through links or posts of invited authors. It is also allowed to see the evolution of the competitors.
But it is not an exclusive tool for SEO , it is also a very useful tool to analyze what SEM strategy competitors are doing, because it allows you to know what keywords they are using, the most effective ads and the price indicative of advertising.
It is payable and its price is around 70 dollars a month. Semrush allows you to make customized reports.
Another must-mention tool when we talk about the best tools for SEO is SEO Powersuite. It comprises a package of four tools with which it is possible to perform most of the tasks of SEO . They are the following:
- SEO Spy Glass : analysis of the links of the competition, helps in the process of detecting the suitability in the creation of links and in the management of the existing ones.
- Rank Tracker: monitoring the position that are occupying the search results and help in the moment of selecting the keywords
- Website Auditor: detailed analysis of the website for the optimization of all elements that influence SEO On Page.
- Link Asistant : management and organization for the link building phase.
It is a payment tool.
Sistrix is a very complete tool that is oriented as much to the analysis of aspects SEO, SEM as Social Media. The main functionalities that it allows are the following:
- Research the keywords from the database that own the different search engines and the main keywords for which the competition is positioning.
- Analyze what is the visibility index of a web in the SERPS.
- Get a report with SEO On-page errors.
- Analyze both the number and quality of the links that a web page has.
- Check the investment that a web is sending to SEM, as well as analyze the ads and keywords used.
Tools for analyzing competition and backlinks
Majestic is used for the analysis of the quality and thematic of the different link profiles. It has great potential and is really complete. Its database is the most extensive and its update is one of the most frequent.
Not only does it offer a list with all the links to a specific URL, but also offers the anchor text, the exact moment in which it was detected, as well as the value of the page that owns the link. Another very exclusive functionality is the ability to retrieve the history of links that were deleted.
In addition, Majestic SEO has some very useful metrics when evaluating a link profile. These metrics are Citation Flow and Trust Flow.
It is a payment tool, whose price fluctuates at $ 40 per month.
It is another tool that offers an exhaustive information of the links that owns a website, being possible to analyze its profile, as well as to establish a comparative with the pages that one wishes. It has a history of the links, detailing the day they were made or deleted.
It offers the possibility of comparing a maximum of 5 websites at the same time. In the free version, you can perform 15 queries per day per user. However, to reach its full potential, you need to subscribe to one of the monthly plans available (from $ 79 per month).
In addition, Ahrefs offers a brief analysis of the SEO On-site , includes some detail on social signals and allows to export a maximum of 10,000 data in CSV format.
The degree of detail that Ahrefs allows is very large. Together with Majestic, it is the largest index and the highest update it performs.
Tools to analyze On-page SEO
It is a complete tool that facilitates a thorough analysis of web pages. Again, a tool that is always in the listings with the best tools for SEO . In this case, screaming frog is imperative when performing a technical analysis of SEO On-page .
Here is a list with some of the main features:
- Analyze and create robots.txt files
- Locate broken links, indexing errors, images without text, possible duplicate content ...
- Check the anchor text of links, the siz